Awesome

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Elf on the Shelf: Is it all worth it?

At this moment I am laying on the floor of my now clean carpet to share a beautiful, magical tradition that has started in our house.

The Elf on the Shelf.

Now I was told that this would be a great tool for getting naughty children to fall into line as we near a crazy and hectic holiday season. It is my understanding that this cute, little stuffed elf is supposed to "show up" at the beginning of December and stay until Santa comes on Christmas eve... late.
Every night he magically travels to the North Pole to tell Santa all that kids have been doing. Naughty AND nice. Then he comes back and gets in to some mischief or plays till the kids get up. (Of course this means that mom is supposed to move him around to show what he has been doing)


All this to say: Is it WORTH it? I have been moving the creature. I have been playing along with the magic of it. I have been encouraging the kids to be nice and good so the elf can report good things to Santa. BAH! That's what I think. All that work and the kids have maybe even been worse than usual! This is not the bargain I signed up for when I accepted the ugly little guy into my house. He is not keeping his side of the bargain. He is supposed to be dragging his mischievous little butt up to the North Pole to report to Santa. He is supposed to be achieving something other than being ratty, decidedly UNmagical urchin that sucks up all the beauty around him.

Well, that was most unflattering. I just exposed my darker side of the holidays.
All the things I DO enjoy will overshadow this slight slip-up, I hope.
Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment